I am an ecologist with particular interests in population ecology, landscape and movement ecology, behavioral ecology, spatiotemporal mechanisms of coexistence, animal conservation and management. My research interests brought me to several countries around the globe where I focused on different animal species: from Switzerland (butterflies and wolves) to Botswana (African wild dogs, lions, spotted hyenas, cheetahs, and leopards), to Turkey (brown bears) and to South Africa (meerkats) .
In the past my research mainly focused on:
- Patterns of spatiotemporal segregation among large African carnivores.
- Survey techniques for large mammal species.
- Influence of human activities and anthropogenic habitat modification on animal distribution, abundance and behavior.
When I do not sit in front of a computer allegedly doing science or lie under the old field land rover fixing it or run after any moving animal trying to fit a GPS collar on it, I like to distract myself with any sort of outdoor activity such as hiking, running, cycling, snow-shoeing, ice-hockey or simply going for a walk with my dog. A beer and a glass of wine are a welcome distraction too.
I am currently directly involved in two projects:
- Individual strategies, group dynamics and population regulation in cooperative breeders
- African wild dog dispersal, population dynamics and conservation
- 2013-present, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Institute of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies, University of Zurich
- 2008-2012, PhD in Ecology, Institute of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies, University of Zurich
- 2005-2006, MSc in Zoology, Institute of Environmental Sciences, University of Zurich
- Cozzi G, Maag N, Börger L, Clutton-Brock T, Ozgul A (2018) Socially informed dispersal in a territorial cooperative breeder Journal of Animal Ecology DOI:10.1111/1365-2656.12795
- Behr DM, Ozgul A, Cozzi G (2017). Combining human acceptance and habitat suitability in a unified socio-ecological suitability model: a case study for the wolf in Switzerland. Journal of Applied Ecology 54:1919-1929
- Chamber AL*, Cozzi G*, Broekhuis F, Hartley R, McNutt JW (2017) Serosurvey for selected viral pathogens among sympatric species of the African large predator guild in northern Botswana. Journal of Wildlife Disease 53:170-175 *shared first authorship
- Cozzi G, Chynoweth M, Kusak J, Coban E, Coban A, Ozgul A, Sekercioglu C (2016) Anthropogenic food resources foster the coexistence of distinct life history strategies: year-round sedentary and migratory brown bears. Journal of Zoology 300:142-150
- Durant SM, Becker MS, Creel S, Bashir S, Dickman AJ, Beudels-Jamar RC, Lichtenfeld L, Hilborn R, Wall J, Wittemyer G, Badamjav L, Blake S, Boitani L, Breitenmoser C, Broekhuis F, Christianson D, Cozzi G, Davenport TRB, […], Pettorelli N. (2015) Developing fencing policies for dry land ecosystems. Journal of Applied Ecology 52:544-551
- Cozzi G, Börger L, Hutter P, Abegg D, Beran C, McNutt JW, Ozgul A (2015) Effects of trophy hunting leftovers on the ranging behaviour of large carnivores: A case study on spotted hyenas. PLOS ONE DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0121471
- Cozzi G, Broekhuis F, McNutt JW, Schmid B (2013) Density and habitat use of lions and spotted hyenas in northern Botswana and the influence of survey and ecological variables on call-in survey estimation. Biodiversity and Conservation 22:2937-2956
- Creel S, Becker M, Durant S, Msoka J, Matandiko W, Dickman A, Christianson D, Droge E, Mweetwa T, Pettorelli N, Rosenblatt E, Schuette P, Woodroffe R, Bashir S, Beudels-Jamar R, Blake S, Borner M, Breitenmoser C, Broekhuis F, Cozzi G, Davenport TRB, […], Zimmermann A (2013) Conserving large populations of lions – the argument for fences has holes. Ecology Letters 16:1413-1416
- Broekhuis F, Cozzi G, Valeix M, McNutt JW, Macdonald DW (2013) Risk avoidance in sympatric large carnivores: reactive or predictive? Journal of Animal Ecology 82:1098-1105
- Cozzi G (2013) Patterns of habitat use and segregation among African large carnivores. PhD Thesis Zurich University, Zurich – CH
- Cozzi G, Broekhuis F, McNutt JW, Schmid B (2013) Comparison of the effects of artificial and natural barriers on large African carnivores: Implications for inter-specific relationships and connectivity. Journal of Animal Ecology 82:707-715
- Cozzi G,Broekhuis F, McNutt JW, LA Turnbull, Macdonald DW, Schmid B (2012) Fear of the dark or dinner by moonlight? Reduced temporal partitioning among Africa’s large carnivores. Ecology 93:2590-2599
- Cozzi G, Müller CB, Krauss J (2008) How do local habitat management and landscape structure at different spatial scales affect fritillary butterfly distribution on fragmented wetlands? Landscape Ecology 3:269-283
- Krauss J, Cozzi G (2005) Fritillary butterfly conservation on fragmented fens in Switzerland. In: Studies on the Ecology and Conservation of Butterflies in Europe (eds.: E Kühn, R Feldmann, JA Thomas, J Settele), Vol. 1, pag. 17, PENSOFT Publishers.